Southern Fried Chicken Strips
Everybody likes a bit of naughty KFC style fried chicken. And this recipe is just outstanding. The chicken is tender and moist and the crunchy outside with ‘southern salt mix’ sprinkled over makes it simply delicious. I have made this several times now and I just had to share it with you.
INGREDIENTS for 6 servings:
- 500ml buttermilk
- 2 tbsp chopped chives
- 4 large individual chicken breasts
- 300g plain flour
- vegetable oil for deep frying
For southern salt:
- 2tbsp paprika
- 1tbsp onion salt
- 1 tsp celery salt
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp dried mixed herbs
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- Cut the chicken into thin strips, chop the chives finely.
- Prepare ‘southern salt’, put paprika, onion salt, celery salt, chili powder, mixed herbs and sugar in a bowl and mix well. Set aside.
- Put the buttermilk and chopped chives in a large bowl, season to taste with salt and pepper. Add chicken strips and mix to coat. Cover with cling film and refrigerate for at least 1 hr.
- Preheat the oven to 180C (160C fan). Heat the oil in a deep pan over high heat to 180C.
- Put ¾ of the ‘southern salt mix’ in a bowl together with flour and mix well.
- Drain chicken and toss in flour mixture. Shake off any excess. Fry the chicken in hot oil in batches for 2-3 minutes until golden and crispy. Transfer onto a baking tray and bake for further 10-15 minutes or until cooked through.
- Drain on the paper towel and sprinkle with remaining ‘southern salt’. Best served with soft rolls and BBQ sauce.